Elevate your cooking with our guide to perfect Chinese Takeout Fried Rice. Learn marinating techniques and crafting a delectable sauce for a restaurant-worthy dish. Fried rice is one of the most popular dishes at every Chinese takeaway!
- 3 tbsp neutral oil (divided), preferably vegetable or peanut
- 2 cups (350g) cooked long grain/jasmine rice blend (2 parts long grain, 1 part jasmine)
- 2 eggs, beaten (seasoned with pinch of salt and pinch of MSG)
- 2 oz (56g) marinated chicken slivers (see marinade instructions below)
- 1/2 cup (75g) yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 tbsp (28g) carrot, medium dice
- 2 cloves rough chopped garlic
- Small handful of bean sprouts (40g)
- 2 tbsp (28g) frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp (12g) green onion, finely sliced
- ﾽ teaspoon (2g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10g) light soy sauce
- ﾽ teaspoon (2.5g) dark soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) MSG
- 1 teaspoon (3g) kosher salt
- 2 pinches of white pepper
- 2 teaspoons (9g) Shaoxing wine
- 1 teaspoon (5g) toasted sesame oil
Additional seasoning (salt & pepper), to taste
- Preheat wok/pan over medium-high heat until lightly smoking.
- Add 1 tbsp neutral oil, swirl, and heat 15-30 seconds until shimmering.
- Reduce heat to low, add eggs, cook 20-30 seconds until puffed.
- Flip eggs, scramble 20-30 seconds, then remove and set aside.
- Wipe wok/pan clean, return to medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp oil, heat, and cook chicken 90% done (2-3 mins).
- Transfer chicken to egg bowl.
- Add final tbsp oil, heat, and saut￩ onion and carrot (1-2 mins).
- Add garlic, cook briefly (15-20 seconds).
- Add rice, toss with veggies.
- Flatten rice, break clumps, toast lightly (2-4 mins).
- Add chicken and egg, mix well.
- Push rice to center, pour sauce mixture around, stir.
- Add seasoning mixture, stir.
- Mix in green peas and bean sprouts.
- Push rice, add Shaoxing wine around, stir.
- Turn off heat, mix in green onions and sesame oil.
- Taste, adjust with salt and white pepper.
- Serve and enjoy your flavorful homemade fried rice!
- 1 chicken breast (12-16 oz., 340-450g), sliced (see instructions)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5g) light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) sugar
- ½ teaspoon (1.5g) cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon (1g) kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5g) MSG
- 1 teaspoon (5g) neutral oil, preferably vegetable or peanut
- Remove tenderloin and slice chicken lengthwise into 3-5 strips.
- Turn strips perpendicular and slice across the grain into 1/8 inch (3mm) slivers, repeat with tenderloin.
- Wash chicken slivers under cold running water until they become slightly more white.
- Wring out excess water from the slivers by hand or pressing against a colander.
- Mix baking soda with washed chicken, stirring for 30-45 seconds.
- Mix in the remaining marinade ingredients and marinate for at least 15 minutes, or up to overnight before use.